Wednesday, February 13, 2013

How the layout began

It started with a clean slate, a layout idea from Model Railroader and the desire to try hand-laying my own track. Roadbed was cut from acoustical ceiling tile. It doesn't hold spikes forever but its long enough for the glue ballast to dry. Building each section one at a time allowed me to work all around the railroad, front and back.



I actually toyed with the idea of hand-laying my turnouts as well but decided that buying them already made removed all the muss and fuss of trying to get them just perfect. But I do like the hand throws. I am thinking about swapping them out to more realistic hand throw stands.


This was the original track plan. It got changed a bit as I started actually laying down buildings. I realized, for example, that the grain elevator was not going to work where I first placed it as it would make reaching over to the other industries behind a little awkward.

The backdrop is in. Some buildings in place. And now I start to get a real feel for how its going to look and work.



This leg was originally the yard area. But I decided early on that I would rather have more industry. So the yard was ripped out and in its place, Dames Point was built with three new industries. The track at the very back goes behind the buildings and curves around onto the back of my workbench. A small three track yard is being planned for the back of the workbench as a place to sort cars ready for delivery.


Many buildings were scratch-built to fit a specific location. Like this Publix Warehouse for example. Its built at an angle to lay right up against the backdrop but parallel to the siding. Took a bit of doing. This building eventually got a sign, some bushes and some additional weathering to make sure it fit right in.



Here's another look at Dames Point. Does the red fascia bother you? I've received some comments about it, but actually after a few minutes of working, you don't even notice its there. Besides I think it looks nice.


No comments:

Post a Comment